From the points table of Group C, it is not seen who has the possibility to go to the next round in the last match.
There are two more games left in this group. Each team has one match which will start at 1 am on December 1st. No one has been eliminated from this group yet, everyone has a chance to go to the last sixteen.
(a) Argentina vs Poland Match:
If Argentina loses, Poland’s points will be 4+3=7, and Argentina’s will be 3+0=3.
If the match is a draw then Poland’s points will be 4+1=5, and Argentina’s points will be 3+1=4 with Argentina’s goal difference (+1).
If Argentina wins then Argentina’s points will be 3+3=6, Poland will have 4 points and the number of goals they lose will decrease from the goal difference (+2).
(b) Mexico vs Saudi Arabia Match:
If Saudi Arabia wins, their points will be 3+3=6. The number of goals won will be added to the goal difference (-1). Also, Mexico will have 1 point.
If the match is a draw then Saudi Arabia’s points will be 3+1=4 and Mexico’s points will be 1+1=2. At the same time, the goal difference will be the same: Saudi (-1) and Mexico (-2).
If Mexico wins then Mexico’s points will be 3+1=4 and Saudi’s points will be 3rd. The number of goals won will be added to the goal difference (-2).
What follows from these six events:
1. If Poland wins against Argentina, it will go to the 2nd round as the group champion with 7 points and Argentina will leave the tournament with 3 points.
2. If the match between Argentina – Poland is a draw, Poland will go to the 2nd round with 5 points. On the other hand, with 4 points, Argentina will have to look at the Mexico-Saudi match.
3. If Argentina wins, it will go to the next round, similarly, Poland will have to look forward to the Mexico-Saudi match with 4 points.
4. If Saudi wins, they will go to the 2nd round with 6 points, and Mexico will leave the tournament.
5. If the Saudi-Mexico match is a draw, Mexico will depart with 2 points and Saudi will have to look forward to the Argentina-Poland match.
6. If Mexico wins, Saudi Arabia will leave the tournament with 3 points. Mexico will have to watch the Argentina-Poland match.
The equation to be the group champion:
1. If Poland wins, it will be the champion with 7 points.
2. Poland – If Argentina draws and Saudi Arabia wins, Saudi Arabia will be the group champion with 6 points and Poland will be the runner-up. In that case, Argentina and Mexico will depart with 4 and 1 points.
3. If Argentina and Saudi Arabia both teams win, they will go to the 2nd round with 6 points and Poland and Mexico will leave the tournament. In that case, the group champion will be the goal difference. Argentina is ahead of Saudi Arabia (+2) in goal difference. In this case, Argentina will be the group champion even if they win by one goal less than the margin that Saudi will win.
4. If Mexico wins and Argentina draws, both will get 4 points. Since Argentina’s goal difference is higher than Mexico’s (+3), Mexico needs to win by a minimum of 4 goals, then Argentina will leave and Mexico and Poland will go to the next round. In that case, Poland will be the group champion.
1. If you win, you will confirm the next round.
2. If there is a draw, you will have to look at the Mexico-Saudi match. Which is explained in the previous point number four.
3. Goodbye if you lose
Equation of Poland:
1. If you win, you are the group champion
2. The next round is guaranteed even if it is drawn
3. Lose in the Mexico-Saudi match.
1. If you win, the next round is guaranteed
2. If you draw, you will have to look at the Argentina-Poland match
3. Bye if you lose
Equation of Mexico:
1. If you win, you will have to look at the Argentina-Poland match
2. Goodbye if you lose
3. Goodbye even if drawn
Argentina’s group champion equation:
Will need to win and Saudi Arabia will need to look at their goal difference if they win.